Decent work &
Decent work & Economic Growth
Secondary School Resources
Why is it important?
- The global unemployment rate in 2017 was 5.6per cent, down from 6.4per cent in 2000.
- Globally, 61per cent of all workers were engaged in informal employment in 2016. Excluding the agricultural sector, 51per cent of all workers fell into this employment category.
- Men earn 12.5per cent more than women in 40 out of 45 countries with data.
- The global gender pay gap stands at 23 per cent globally and without decisive action, it will take another 68 years to achieve equal pay. Women’s labour force participation rate is 63 per cent while that of men is 94 per cent.
- Despite their increasing presence in public life, women continue to do 2.6 times the unpaid care and domestic work that men do.